When you hear the term 401K rollover it is referring to one of two situations
- The process of rolling over your prior employer’s 401K to your current employer’s 401K.
- The process of rolling over your prior employer’s 401K to an IRA Rollover.
Which is better? From a tax standpoint, if they are done properly, it makes no difference. Our feeling is that it is almost always a better decision to rollover your old 401K account to a Rollover IRA. When rolling your 401K to an IRA Rollover, you continue to benefit from the tax deferred status you enjoyed with your 401K account and it provides for a lot more flexibility from an investment perspective than if you rolled your funds into your current employer’s 401K. You can design the appropriate asset allocation for your Rollover IRA in an open architecture environment using the best performing, least expensive mutual funds. If you rollover your 401K account into your current employer’s 401K, you are limited to the investment choices your employer offers. In some cases, the funds offered through 401K plans carry significantly higher fees that go toward compensating all the various parties it takes to manage and administer the 401K plan.
401k Rollover Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answer to your frequently asked questions regarding 401k rollovers.
- What will the stock market do tomorrow, next month, or next year?
- How do I know what my investment return is?
- Why is my 401k such an important benefit?
- How important are taxes when investing?
- What is a 401K Rollover?
- Is there such a thing as a “free lunch” in investing?
- What is an IRA Rollover?
- What is an investment policy statement?
- What do I do after I inherit an IRA?
- What are Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS)?
- How much risk should I be taking in my IRA rollover and other retirement assets?
401k Rollover Section Menu:
- 401k Rollovers
- Sample Fee Disclosure – Detailed Fee Disclosure
- Investor Resources – Investment Management Process – 401k Rollover Errors
- Common Investing Mistakes – No Guarantees of Continuance – Not All Investors are Experts – Nobody is Perfect – It’s All About Discipline
- 401k Rollover Options – Direct Rollover IRA – Direct Rollover to Your Current Employer’s Retirement Plan – Lump Sum Distribution
- Glossary of Investment Terminology
Debt Problem? Is the burden of your credit card debt getting you down? Use the menu bars at the top of this page, or the sections directly below, to find different debt relief programs, including loan programs for debt consolidation and credit counseling. Search by financial service type or the state of your residence. In order to find more financial tips and advice, please visit our personal finance section for a list of available resources on this site.